Decoding My VIN – Where Was My Polestar Made?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PesmergaBlack89

Reaction score
A friend recently informed me that the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) contains some useful information about your vehicle's manufacturing location. The first few digits appear to be the most telling.

I've seen a few threads here mentioning that VINs beginning with ""L"" indicate the vehicle was manufactured in China, which makes sense for many Polestars. However, I only received my VIN today, and the first digits are YSM. According to what I found online, a VIN beginning with ""Y"" indicates that the car was manufactured in Europe, possibly Sweden (YS).

This has perplexed me, as I was under the impression that all Polestars were manufactured in China. Am I misinterpreting something? Is there anyone who has more in-depth knowledge or insight into VINs?

You are right that VINs refer to manufacturing info. L indicates a vehicle in China and Y indicates a vehicle in Sweden. Polestar 2 is manufactured in China, so, yes, it is confusing that your VIN starts with YSM. It could be an option that some components of the car are from Europe, even if the final product comes from China. Another option could be that YS refers to something about Polestar's production structure or supply chain. AS you know, Polestar's mother company is Volvo and Volvo is from Sweden. But try to talk with Polestar customer support. See what they say.

Join the Polestar Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back