Winter Trip Report (MD to the Adirondack Mountains in NY)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cars90

Reaction score
Took our new RWD 2024 EV on a trip to the mountains this weekend. It was about 140 miles each way. The temperatures were in the 30s heading up and dropping into the 20s on the way back with light snow. I charged 100% before leaving (just to be cautious), but I didn't need to. I arrived with 55% charge remaining. We took mostly state and county roads (speed limits of 50-55 mph) except for around 25 miles on a different road where we drove a little above 60 mph.

I brought along some Auto Socks *the brand recommends them), but they stayed in the trunk! Even navigating an icy driveway only required some careful momentum management. No tire spinning whatsoever.

When we arrived, the hotel had a free charging station, so I topped up to 90%. The car sat through the weekend in freezing temperatures (with a brief warm spell in the 40s on Saturday morning) and didn't lose any charge - still at 90% when we left. Although the rain froze later on, I didn't have any issues with frozen doors. Some cracking sounds came from ice forming in the rubber wire grommets, but everything worked perfectly, including the frunk. The car's lights reflecting off the ice looked amazing. I also disabled the power folding mirrors as a precaution.

We had a great time in the mountains.

The drive back was through light snow, with about 1/4 inch on the roads, which occasionally hid some icy patches. We took it slow, and the car stayed steady on its feet. I saw evidence of other cars sliding out on some corners, but the EV never needed the Auto Socks. The only moment of hesitation came from the traction control on an unsalted hill, but the car kept a constant speed with no trouble. Once we were out of the mountains and back on clearer roads, the energy consumption dropped from 29 kWh/100mi, to around 25 kWh/100 mi, which was more expected. After a quick lunch detour (about 5 miles), we made it home with 50% charge. One fun part was descending over the Adirondack Pass where the car regained around 4$ charge on the way down. when we got back home, the car was covered in road salt, but no snow in our area.

took the car for a wash the next morning to get the salt off. Instead of explaining how to engage "tow mode" to the attendants, I just stayed in the car. Put it in neutral, lined it up with the track using the cameras, and turned off parking sensors. The only downside? When I got home, the water drops had frozen solid.

Have a great one!

Took our new RWD 2024 EV on a trip to the mountains this weekend. It was about 140 miles each way. The temperatures were in the 30s heading up and dropping into the 20s on the way back with light snow. I charged 100% before leaving (just to be cautious), but I didn't need to. I arrived with 55% charge remaining. We took mostly state and county roads (speed limits of 50-55 mph) except for around 25 miles on a different road where we drove a little above 60 mph.

I brought along some Auto Socks *the brand recommends them), but they stayed in the trunk! Even navigating an icy driveway only required some careful momentum management. No tire spinning whatsoever.

When we arrived, the hotel had a free charging station, so I topped up to 90%. The car sat through the weekend in freezing temperatures (with a brief warm spell in the 40s on Saturday morning) and didn't lose any charge - still at 90% when we left. Although the rain froze later on, I didn't have any issues with frozen doors. Some cracking sounds came from ice forming in the rubber wire grommets, but everything worked perfectly, including the frunk. The car's lights reflecting off the ice looked amazing. I also disabled the power folding mirrors as a precaution.

We had a great time in the mountains.

The drive back was through light snow, with about 1/4 inch on the roads, which occasionally hid some icy patches. We took it slow, and the car stayed steady on its feet. I saw evidence of other cars sliding out on some corners, but the EV never needed the Auto Socks. The only moment of hesitation came from the traction control on an unsalted hill, but the car kept a constant speed with no trouble. Once we were out of the mountains and back on clearer roads, the energy consumption dropped from 29 kWh/100mi, to around 25 kWh/100 mi, which was more expected. After a quick lunch detour (about 5 miles), we made it home with 50% charge. One fun part was descending over the Adirondack Pass where the car regained around 4$ charge on the way down. when we got back home, the car was covered in road salt, but no snow in our area.

took the car for a wash the next morning to get the salt off. Instead of explaining how to engage "tow mode" to the attendants, I just stayed in the car. Put it in neutral, lined it up with the track using the cameras, and turned off parking sensors. The only downside? When I got home, the water drops had frozen solid.

Have a great one!
Must have been some experience!
I am planning a road trip too next month ;)

Join the Polestar Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back